11 Dec 2015 Best Practices for Social Media Posts
Social media platforms are constantly evolving, and it is a full time job just to keep up with them. We also understand that there are still thousands of businesses, non-profits, and communities who are just starting their brand’s social media presence.
We have put together a list of current best practices for social media engagement for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Google+. We know there are dozens of social media platforms out there, but we decided to start with just these four for brands just launching.
Let’s take a look.
Facebook is great for telling stories through photos, word of mouth, and connecting with your audience members.
- Be concise (generally not more than 2 sentences), include a clear call-to-action, and reinforce key brand objectives
- Incorporate a variety of posts including photos and videos, offers and questions, to allow your team to gauge what resonates the most with your audience
- Post 4-5 times per week, no more than once per day
- 1-2 hashtag at most; use only if they’re relevant
- Amplify important events with paid advertising
Twitter is a great way to share brand news, events, and engage with the local community in real-time. Twitter can be particularly useful for customer interaction during events.
- Be very succinct — 100 characters max recommended to encourage retweets
- Tweets shorter than 100 characters get a 17% higher engagement rate
- Use images & video, though be aware this consumes additional characters
- At least 3 times per week, up to daily
- Can sustain 3-5 or more tweets per day, depending on size of your following
- 2-3 hashtags at most
- Look and listen for existing conversations to join
- Enable location services
- Include relevant information for search in Twitter bio
Instagram is a “show, don’t tell” social media. It requires an image or video for your posts, and can be a great way to provide a visual focus for your brand.
- Optimize your images. Make sure they fit in with the feel and vibe of your brand and the Instagram community.
- Make sure photographs are aesthetically pleasing and creative.
- At least once per week / up to 3-5 times per week; evenly spaced out to keep people wanting more.
- Use up to 10 hashtags; hashtags are the only way content is searchable on Instagram.
- Tagging people in an image/comments is a great way to show up in their feed and on their profile page.
- Expand your audience, reach, and exposure by connecting your brand’s Instagram account to its other social networks.
Google+ is a great way to increase your brand’s visibility through search.
- Repurpose content for use in Google+
- Activity on Google+ is highly tied to Google’s search algorithm
- Merging a Youtube Channel with your Google+ Page can help increase your brand’s Google search result
- +1 the content posted by others to increase the exposure of your brand’s Google+ and grow your followers
- Post 4-5 times/week
- Posting through content management tool may require manual edits within platform
- Use 1-2 hashtags